Reverse Car Auctions
Loading Vehicle Picker...
Reverse Car Auctions – Better deal? Perhaps not!Reverse car auction websites have recently become flavour of the month here in Australia. There are minor variations between them, but here are some pitfalls you should watch out for if you decide to use one of these sites:
- Are you required to make a committment to buy the car before you get the final price? There are usually monetary penalties if you do not buy the car. Why pay hundreds of dollars if you end up with a bad price? Look closely at the terms and conditions. If a site requires you to send in a Certificate of Death for a refund, you know they’re keen to hang on to your cash…
- How many dealers will respond to the auction? Can they guarantee a certain number of bids? How many times can each dealer bid?
I know from over 20 years in the business that dealers detest putting in bids if they don’t get a very high sucess rate. Check how long the site has been around for.
- Who runs the site? Is it a website marketing company, or someone who knows about the industry? Anyone can set up an automated system to email dealers to ask for bids, but the real strength of a car broker lies in the dealer network. Do they have solid dealer network, or are they just emailing dealerships blindly?
- Ask yourself this: If they can run a “reverse auction”, why can’t you? Virtually all dealers have websites, and emails. Do it yourself and save hundreds – if you really believe the reverse auction system works!
- How can you be sure that it is a genuine auction? I am sure there are people who never believed the real estate industry was (and still is?) plauged with “dummy bidding”. Online reverse car auctions are totally unregulated. That means buyer beware. Ask the questions up front and the answers in writing!
- In talking with dealers, I have found out that some marketing companies run these online “auction sites” and charge “membership fees” to dealers that participate. Up to thousands of dollars per month! Who pays for this undisclosed money changing hands? You do!
Make sure you ask whether the auction website charges any fees whatsoever to any dealers – including “advertising” or “membership” fees.
- Can dealers “work the system”? Of course they can. The hands-off approach taken by website operators (i.e. take your cash and hope for the best) means dealers are free to cooperate between themselves to limit your discount. Many have also experienced “auction sniping”at ebay – which is one of the main drawbacks of these types of auctions. The dealer would submit his price only seconds before closing, thereby not allowing anyone else enough time to respond with a counter bid.
I received my new car last week which was the fisrt time I set foot on a car lot during this and it was one of the most painless experiences! I have and will continue recommending your services to all my friend and colleges. Thanks for the prompt, professional service and the huge savings.
I must say that your service is excellent - using it should be a "no brainer" for anyone buying a car. Gaining access to a sourcing professional with deep domain expertise to assist with a high value purchase for under a $100 is fantastic. Many thanks
Negotiating a deal with a professional car salesman is tough and time-consuming, especially if you don't have a lot of local experience. Having someone act on your behalf creates an advantage that can't be ignored, and I have to say the $4,900 saving that I achieved off a $43,300 vehicle via Carbroker.com.au is definitely worth the minimal cost of registering an interest at the Carbroker.com.au web site. Thanks to Chris Wilson for this much-appreciated service.
Just a short note to say thank you for brokering the purchase of my new car. The MX-5 is fantastic and what's even better is the great price you negotiated for me. The Paint Protection went on with ease and the finish is superb. I'm glad you recommended it. The entire experience has been a positive one for me. I will gladly recommend your company to any of my friends or family who are thinking of purchasing a vehicle in the future.
Fast replies, great service and most importantly, extraordinary prices. Anyone buying a new car not using this service is not fair dinkum about getting the best price and probably paying too much. The service saved me thousands. Will definitely be using it again when next buying a new car and have been telling all my friends about it. Keep up the good work.
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that this is a fantastic service you offer, especially for a woman as it takes away the pain of dealing with car salesmen. Using your service saved me thousands of dollars and I will definitely recommend you to all my friends and colleagues, in fact one has already logged on to get a quote today.
I’d just like to comment on how smooth it was to purchase my car using your service. The finance broker you put me on to helped the hip pocket as much as the price you were able to secure for me. Thank you so much for making a major purchase easy, smooth and without buyer’s remorse. I will be looking you up when it comes time to replace our other car and I will continue to recommend you to all my family and friends
Thanks to Chris and the guys at Carbroker.com.au we took delivery of a top of the range model for the same price as a dealer had quoted for the base model. No haggling, no hassles, no hesitation in recommending this service.
Thanks for your help. Must admit I was very sceptical in dealing 'on line' with an unknown person/company. As a single woman I don't want the hassle of going backwards and forwards, playing one dealer off the other. I used the internet to get a measure of what's reasonable and then it's 'give me your best price' no second chance. Some people can't get their head around that but life's too short. I only want to deal with ethical people. I'm happy that a salesperson makes a profit but it has to be fair for both parties. Thanks and I'll be recommending your site to friends.
All went well with the sale - your dealer was helpful, friendly and arranged the tray with no fuss or fanfare. The whole process has been totally painless and I will (and have been) recommend your service to everyone.