Why is my trade in worth so little?
Why is my trade in worth so little?
Not everyone asks this question, but many do. Especially just when they are thinking of buying a new car and they have just had their first offer and been disappointed with it.
If you feel the price for the trade-in is too low (and you’re not getting any higher offers), please be aware of the following:
- For “common” cars, the average turnaround in a car yard is 4 months. Low volume cars vary, but can easily take 9 months to sell. During this time, the car:
- must be initially repaired for scratches and dents. A “bottom-half” is the industry term for a dent repair and respray of the bottom half of the vehicle.
- needs to be financed by the dealer.
- must be advertised.
- must be maintained so it starts and runs and is clean.
- takes up one space in the yard, from which the dealer needs to generate a minimum of $x each year – regardless of the value of the car. This especially hurts cars under $10,000.
- The Redbook (and Glasses) valuation guide
- is based on cars in perfect condition. New tyres, no dents, no scratches and mechanically sound with a full service history.
- contains old data that is only periodically updated.
- sells “valuation certificates”. People love buying these to show others what a high valuation they have on their car. Higher valuations = higher certificate sales?
- doesn’t buy cars. It would be fantastic if the Redbook bought cars at the valuations they give. Unfortunately they don’t.
- Don’t compare the trade-in offer to advertised prices. Used cars advertised online (or elsewhere) rarely sell for the advertised price. There is always room to negotiate – sometimes $1,000s of dollars.
- Some (almost always private) sellers advertise their cars at super-high prices on the off-chance that they will get lucky. Some advertise their cars for years this way. Online advertising is often very cheap and “advertising until sold” is a fixed price regardless of the period of time.
Here is seven way to handle a disappointing valuation:
- Accept the offer for the trade-in.
- Add the following special condition to the Sales Agreement: ” I reserve the right to remove my trade-in from the sale prior to delivery of the new vehicle.”
- Clean the car inside and out, but do not have it detailed.
- Take photos from the front, from both sides, the rear, and through the open driver’s door (showing steering wheel and instrument panel).
- Set the price above the dealer offer and a little below what the dealers are selling similar cars for.
- Put a well written advertisements in your local newspaper. Make sure you include all of the details we asked you for (i.e. Make, model, registration expiry etc.).
- Print the advertisement on A4 paper and put it on your car – both side windows. People in your area, your work colleagues and friends will then be aware it is for sale. Many prefer to buy a “known” car and dislike having to scour the Internet every night looking for prospects.
This will maximise your chance of selling the car privately, and is basically a way of doing due diligence on your trade-in. You will find that most people are prepared to wait until you take delivery of your new car before they can pick up your old one.
Fast replies, great service and most importantly, extraordinary prices. Anyone buying a new car not using this service is not fair dinkum about getting the best price and probably paying too much. The service saved me thousands. Will definitely be using it again when next buying a new car and have been telling all my friends about it. Keep up the good work.
Thankyou very much Carbroker.com.au for helping us to buy our new car. We are very happy with the process of buying a car through Carbroker.com.au. We usually have big arguments over haggling so it was a great relief to get CarBroker to do all the hard work to relieve the stress on us and our marriage. And we still got a great price!
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that this is a fantastic service you offer, especially for a woman as it takes away the pain of dealing with car salesmen. Using your service saved me thousands of dollars and I will definitely recommend you to all my friends and colleagues, in fact one has already logged on to get a quote today.
Just a short note to say thank you for brokering the purchase of my new car. The MX-5 is fantastic and what's even better is the great price you negotiated for me. The Paint Protection went on with ease and the finish is superb. I'm glad you recommended it. The entire experience has been a positive one for me. I will gladly recommend your company to any of my friends or family who are thinking of purchasing a vehicle in the future.
It is a sorely needed service as we have had nothing but stress and grief with the dealers we have approached ourselves.
WOW FACTOR!! For the sevice provided, the lovely people that are always a pleasure to deal with and the easy delivery of the new car that I requested - I am an extremely happy customer. I was lucky to stumble across the Carbroker.com.au website and have told friends and family that there is no better way to buy. Chris - thanks for doing a great deal for me in the purchase of the Toyota - saved me thousands of $$$ and found me a beautiful new car. Fantastic website & a lovely person to do business with. Cheers!!
Your manner and professionalism on the phone is excellent. It was a real pleasure to deal with you. I wish you the best in the future, and you can rest assured I will be back!
...your professionalism and responsiveness is incredible... exceeding my expectations that were already quite high due to the information available, and style and tone of your website.
Just to let you know that we took delivery of the new Mazda SP23 last night with the customer service from the dealer first class. I would like to take this oportunity in thanking you for your help, professional advice and most important getting me a great deal on the Mazda SP23 that I would never have achieved.
I just want to say thank you for all your effort in getting me a good deal on the car. I managed to save close to $6,000 from the initial quote given to us by a Toyota car dealer. I am very happy with your service and will surely recommend you to all my friends who are keen to buy a new car.